Fire is unpredictable. Minimize risk and damage by being prepared at all times.
Before you get out the BBQ, plan a trip to the beach, or light a backyard campfire, be aware of the risk that is impending on your household. The high temperatures during the day continue well into fall, so be sure not to write off the possibility of a wildfire. Wildfires often start in remote areas, spreading fast and wide. As fire can be unpredictable and incredibly damaging, it’s important to take active steps to protect yourself and loved ones.
Here’s how to prepare for a wildfire:
- Know your wildfire risk.
- Familiarize yourself with local emergency plans. Know where to go and plan an evacuation route.
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Stay tunes to your phone alerts, TV, or radio for weather updates, emergency instructions, and evacuation orders.
Get your home ready:
- Clear the area around your home from dead and dying plants, trees, and shrubs.
- Regularly clean out the roof gutters.
- Connect garden hoses long enough to reach any area of the home.
- Review your homeowners insurance policy.
Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Assuming you have enough coverage, most homeowners insurance policies do typically cover property losses caused by brush, grass, or forest fire. However, most policies do not cover home landscaping and plants that could be destroyed in a wildland fire.
Insurance companies define ‘brush’ as any live or dead bushes, shrubs, thicket, trees, or other vegetation near your home or property. This brush can potentially light on fire, burn, or fuel a wildfire. Vegetation or trees growing in thick bundles are more of a threat as a fire source. Piles of dead yard debris, tree branched, dried grass are also considered uncleared brush.
Have you secured the right policy for your home? For assistance with your insurance, contact the professionals at Fullhart Insurance Agency. Serving all of Waldport, Reedsport, Sisters, Tigard, Oregon, and the surrounding areas we serve all your personal and commercial insurance needs.